Back to Press Releases


FanDuel To Kickoff NFL Season With Fan-Centric Celebrity Virtual Watch Party Benefitting COVID-19 Relief Efforts

Anthony Anderson, Brad Paisley, Joel McHale, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, and More to Participate in Free Watch Party Experience Inclusive of Q&A’s with Celebrities, Trivia Contests, Raffles, and More. Throughout the Live Event Experience, FanDuel will Raise Money for Feeding America and the CDC Foundation, Two Organizations at the Forefront of COVID-19 Relief Efforts.
FanDuel To Kickoff NFL Season With Fan-Centric Celebrity Virtual Watch Party Benefitting COVID-19 Relief Efforts

NEW YORK, September 9, 2020 — Coinciding with the start of the NFL Season, FanDuel will host a virtual celebrity watch party this Thursday, September 10, from 8:00 pm ET through the conclusion of Thursday Night Football, to help benefit COVID-19 relief efforts. FanDuel has partnered with Feeding America and the CDC Foundation to deliver fans a unique and free viewing experience that will be broadcast over YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, Facebook, and FanDuel (

“As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact communities around the world, we wanted to do something unique to help give back to our communities, as well as give back to sports fans,” said Mike Raffensperger, CMO of FanDuel Group. “We recognize that this will not be your typical NFL kickoff with limited fans in the stands and few sports bars open. So we’re giving football fans a unique and interactive Thursday Night Football experience while supporting families impacted by COVID-19 and frontline workers.”

In the spirit of NFL Kickoff, the livestream event will have a competitive element to it. Hosted by sportscaster Lisa Kerney, eight celebrities in total, including Joel McHale, Anthony Anderson, Taye Diggs, Michael Rapaport, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Brad Paisley, and Victor Cruz, will split into two teams competing on behalf of Feeding America and the CDC Foundation. Each team will participate in a variety of challenges to earn support for their respective charity.

Head-to-head celebrity challenges will include game predictions, sports trivia, and a trash talk battle decided by fans. Team challenges will feature a Thursday Night Football daily fantasy contest on FanDuel. The team with the winning player will earn 60% of the donation pot for their charity, and the remaining 40% will go to the losing team’s charity. FanDuel will add $5,000 to the donation pot for every touchdown scored and each turnover created during Thursday night’s game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans. Additionally, fans will have the opportunity to make their own donations to grow the total pot.

Fans will also be able to participate in live chats, Q&A’s with celebrity attendees, trivia questions alongside each other and celebs, polling, raffles, and various contests. Thursday Night Football features defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs versus the Houston Texans.


About FanDuel Group

FanDuel Group is an innovative sports-tech entertainment company that is changing the way consumers engage with their favorite sports, teams, and leagues. The premier gaming destination in the United States, FanDuel Group consists of a portfolio of leading brands across gaming, sports betting, daily fantasy sports, advance-deposit wagering, and TV/media, including FanDuel, Betfair US, and TVG. FanDuel Group has a presence across 45 states and 8.5 million customers. The company is based in New York with offices in California, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon, and Scotland. FanDuel Group is a subsidiary of Flutter Entertainment plc, a leading international sports betting and gaming operator and a constituent of the FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange.

About Feeding America

Feeding America® is the largest hunger-relief organization in the United States. Through a network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs, we provide meals to more than 40 million people each year. Feeding America also supports programs that prevent food waste and improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Visit, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

About The CDC Foundation

All donations made to the CDC Foundation’s Coronavirus Emergency Response Fund go to fighting the pandemic, including: funding medical supplies, increasing lab capacity, deploying emergency staffing to U.S. public health agencies, providing support to vulnerable communities, addressing health communication needs, boosting clinical research to improve health outcomes, building capacity and infrastructure for global response efforts, and much more. To learn more, visit

Read More